Current is seeking an enterprising reporter to cover fundraising strategies and trends in public media. As associate editor, you’ll interview decision-makers and creative professionals who are working on new models for sustaining and expanding their services. In addition to covering fundraising, you’ll report on other issues and trends within public media that fit your interests and our editorial agenda.
The Associate Editor creates timely, valuable coverage that helps our audience of media professionals excel at their institutions and advance public media’s mission.
We’re looking for a reporter with strong writing skills and a knack for finding stories that are unique and compelling to our readers. As a member of our editorial team, you’ll produce coverage for our website and print publication, reporting quickly on developing stories and going in-depth on enterprise assignments. You’ll identify opportunities for using engagement tools and strategies to shape our reporting and develop material for interactive data and multimedia presentations.
- At least three years’ experience in journalism
- Curiosity, humor, keen eye for detail, commitment to ethics and excellence
- Solid writing, research and reporting skills; track record in both breaking news and in-depth reporting; experience with social media and digital publishing
- Collaborative spirit, imagination and persistence
- Ability to travel to and report from at least two conferences per year
- Self-starter who can cultivate new sources
- Interest in public media and its business strategies and technology
- Previous experience covering media and/or business
- Experience with using WordPress
- Experience with using data in research and data visualization
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent health, tuition and retirement benefits through American University, which manages Current as an editorially independent service of its School of Communication. American University and Current are Equal Opportunity Employers.
For best consideration, please create a login and apply through the American University career portal by January 4, 2019.
About this company
Current is the website and newspaper covering public media in the United States. Our readers are media professionals who work at local stations and national organizations like PBS and NPR, as well as independent producers, board members and state and national policymakers. We operate as an editorially independent journalistic service of the American University School of Communication.
Location/Region: Takoma Park, MD